TOP TEN REASONS WHY DIY
Ever walk through an arts and crafts fair and think to yourself “I could do that too!” One local Crafter was overheard saying “You could but would you?” The 90210 acronym DIY stands for Do-It-Yourself. The professional definition of DIY is the method of building, modifying, or repairing something without the aid of experts or professionals. But then brings us to the question of why DIY? Here are the top ten reasons why people DIY:
1. To enjoy a sense of accomplishment and the satisfaction of creating something useful and beautiful. To many crafters, this is a big motivation! Imagine creating something with your own hands practically out of nothing. And adding to this is having other people appreciate it too. I would say this is a big reason.
2. To learn a new skill and keep your mind engaged. Imagine being a stay at home mom or anyone with some time to spare, DIY can be productive and useful!
3. To be challenged to figure out how things work. For all you inquisitive minds out there, this one’s for you.
4. To reduce your environmental footprint. Some Crafters upcycle, this means repurposing items to make new ones. Also, Ecofriendly is a trending term for crafters.
5. To create one-of-a-kind items. Another acronym floating around the DIY scene is OOAK for One of a kind. These are unique items that make unique gifts or simply wonderful to own.
6. To make gifts that show you care. Nothing says special than receiving a gift made by some especially for you. It means that that special someone carved out their own time to do this for you.
7. To share something meaningful to you. DIY a special project and sharing it with someone, let alone have them appreciate it, is pretty awesome.
8. To personalize and customize projects. To have something created just for you brings such a wonderful feeling, and we all need to stand out in this “one size fits all” world.
9. To minimize cost.In this day and age amidst the economic recession, it is a good idea to turn to DIY to bridge finances.
10. To have fun. Let your inner creativity shine! Go you!
I encourage each and everyone to try DIY projects, it doesn’t have to be perfect, remember mistakes can be beautiful. You can find ideas on DIY on Pinterest. Enjoy!